Clinical Enhancement Module and Allied Health Skills: Youth Mental Health
Welcome to the headspace 6-hour ALM on Youth Mental Health. This activity looks at the key diagnostic and management features for common youth mental health issues. These include depression, anxiety and borderline personality disorder, with an emphasis on indigenous and LGBTIQ youth.
This ALM consists of five sequential parts. Each part will take approximately 1.2 hours to complete:
- Part 1: Engaging and assessing young people*
- Part 2: Laura, aged 14
- Part 3: Laura, now aged 16
- Part 4: Melanie, aged 18
- Part 5: Jamal, aged 20
- Demonstrate increase skill detecting and assessing common mental illnesses by using the necessary abilities to undertake a systematic mental health assessment.
- Discuss the key management features of the common mental illnesses encountered as a general practitioner, and understand implementation and revision of GPMHTP for common mental illnesses.
- Recall the important co-morbidities associated with common mental illnesses and the impacts these co-morbidities may have on young people.
- Understand the importance of consumer and carer psychoeducation by providing access to accurate and consumer –friendly educational materials.
- Discuss how to ensure young people's safety by developing appropriate referral pathways and being aware of the indications for referral for specialist services.
*In this module, a young person is defined as a person aged between 12 and 25 years.
If you are an Australian GP, you are able to access the additional mental health MBS item numbers (2712, 2713, 2715 and 2717) by completing the Mental Health Skills Training (Modular Pathway), which requires both a Mental Health Skills Training Core Module and a Clinical Enhancement Module to be completed.Register via External Site
Wed, 13 Feb 2019, at 12:00 AM
Tue, 08 Sep 2020, at 12:00 AM
ThinkGP is Australia’s #1 provider of online medical education for those working in primary health care, and has been providing free, accredited CPD education to the community for almost 15 years. Created to meet the needs of busy healthcare professionals, ThinkGP provides access for the whole practice team to a broad range of CPD activities including short modules, quick we...